Archive for September, 2004
Ok, I’m excited – ordered some parts and stuff to redo computers at home. They’re on the fed-ex truck and supposed to be at my house today!! YAY!!!. Needless to say I’m kinda bouncing off the walls at the moment These parts should let me finish a lot of tasks I’ve been meaning to do for a while. For example, I’m getting two cases – one for myself, but another one as well, so I can finally finish up an old request on creating a low end machine for a friend. The rest of the parts and equipment should let me move forward though on doing some server testing work, while still leaving me with a gaming machine. And ohhh what a gaming machine Athlon 64, 512 CAS 2.0 memory, SATA harddrive, etc. I just hope I’m there for the shipment…..
Well, it was a beautiful weekend overall. Pretty fabulous weather, nothing too terribly hot. In fact, it seems fall is slowly kicking in. I was at my grandmother’s this weekend. I have a few pics from the Treo – I just wish that I could truly capture the majesty of the area down there. The hills, trees, sky, everything down there is just amazing to look at. The drive down going up and down hills, seeing how the world sorta appears before you as you come over the top of a hill, or watching trees in the distance, seeing leaves of all shades of color…. I wish I had words, but the best I can do is a few pictures (select more to continue).
Even more than the beauty, what struck me is the color – fall really is coming in a hurry this year. I think it’s almost two weeks ahead of last year. Even more, it’s all of a sudden gotten cold here the last few days. Last night, I actually wore my coat and a sweater.
Well, my old Treo 300 died last week – stupid design flaw on these things. The treo 300’s have the flip lid, and the lid has a tendency to crack right where it connects to the main body of the treo. Needless to say, I was NOT happy about this. I’d suspected it was heading down hill fast, but I’d hoped to wait till November or December timeframe so I could order one of the Treo 650’s. The new ones have a much higher res screen, phone, bluetooth, etc. BUT, that’s life – I needed a phone, and thus I bought the Treo 600. It came in Friday in this nice package, second day air shipped. Further, palmone has this deal going for one more day where if you order a Treo 600, you get a free car charger, screen protectors, and dock with it – I think there’s some other offers online too, and I’d highly recommend checking it out. Now, let me do a quick review.
- First, with regards to size and weight. It’s fairly small – about half the weight of a soda, and maybe the height of a soda can. Altogether, not all that big. It’s pretty slim compared to the earlier treo 300, maybe 2.5″ in width – overall, it’s not a huge phone. It of course is a palm phone, and is larger though than most other cellphones, but it’s acceptible for me. When you consider the added functionality of a palm pilot, it’s worth the extra size in my view.
- Second, the screen. It’s VERY bright. Unlike the Treo 300, this one is pretty easy to see and read even in sunlight. Of course, it’s not super de duper easy to ready, but the screen is vastly better than the Treo 300. That alone is a huge jump for me. As a general rule though, the thing is pretty readable, regardless of lighting or situation.
- Third, battery life. I almost think though this should go first. Considering how much I used it this weekend that is. The thing really didn’t take any charging. I ended up charging it briefly I think Sunday, after fairly heavy use Friday and Saturday, while at my grandmothers. I suspect this was in part due to being so far out of the way roaming wasn’t even working.
- Fourth, an SD slot – that’s kinda handy if you want to use it as an MP3 player (course, I’ve got an iPod, so not likely), or store other stuff on the device. Though I’m not sure yet I’ll use it, it’s nice to have it. Then again, with the camera…. hmmmm…
- Fifth, the camera. This thing is handy. I’m usually in a lot of places where I don’t have access to my digital camera. Either it’s too big to take along, the batteries die, or I don’t think about bringing it. Having the camera on the phone is just handy. The pictures aren’t exactly high quality, but overall, ease of use and accessibility outweigh the disadvantages. Particularly since I’m not really printing out the pictures, but keeping them for web or similar use.
- I think the biggest disadvantage for me may end up being the quality of the camera. Though it’s nice and handy to have it available, I REALLY wish there was a bit more resolution for the thing.
- Lack of bluetooth. Bluetooth is a wireless protocol which lets the phone use headsets and other devices without wires. This is kinda handy for cars or just general organization – wireless is good
- Another “con” is the keyboard. I like having the full querty keyboard, but it would have been nice if the keys had been a little easier to press without hitting each other. Overall it’s not a huge con, but it’s one of those little things that annoy me.
- The lack of ability to change the SMS message button to the Applications or Home button. I had this working on my Treo 300. It was handy as I don’t really use SMS a ton, but all of a sudden I can’t get to my “applications” menu without actually hitting the home button. AND the home button doesn’t turn on the treo. So I have to hit the power button, then hit the home button. The trick is the other buttons are all pretty useful. i.e. I can’t really change the phone, datebook, or other buttons. So, this is probably going to be one of my bigger annoyances.
- The included case is worthless. I wish they’d spent just a tiny bit more money and included a belt clip type case that was half way decent. They include a case that “protects” the Treo 600, but that case is about pointless, as it’s a pain to get the treo out of the case, the case doesn’t have any kind of clip, and overall, it’s a wasted include.
- Last annoyance – the center button thing. There’s a five way navigation button. Basically, the left/right, up/down buttons, and a center select button. I like a lot of how this works in comparison to the old treo 300 – it’s handy not to have to pull the stylus out as much. However, I do wish the center button stood out just a little more, as I have a tendency to accidentally press the other buttons instead of the center button – particularly when I’m in a hurry.
Well, I’m going to leave that as my “review” of the Treo 600. Please keep in mind this is kinda rushed, and overall just my initial impressions. I do have to say I really like the treo 600 – it’s an amazing phone, and I can’t imagine having a phone without the ability to sync to my computer, or have programs installed. Not to mention I like having the capacity to write my own software for my phone if I choose to. Now, the pricetag on the Treo 600’s is high, but I do think overall it’s worth the expense. You’re getting a high end color palm pilot, with a lot of great features. You don’t have your addressbook in multiple places, everything syncs together, etc. etc. How can you go wrong with that? I’d say seriously consider a Treo 600 if you’re looking for a new phone. Or, if you can wait a few months, look at the Treo 650’s whenever they come out – there should be a TON of improvements there.
Ok, I’d seen this Star Wars: Battlefront game but hadn’t planned on buying it. Until I saw this post by David Weller. DUDE! I could kill Jar Jar Binks over and over!! Now I have to get the game – I’m sure it’ll help relieve a lot of frustrations
And in an additional note, check out his blog – he’s got some great tech articles/commentary on there, for any other geeks out there
My service provider, Linux Web Host went down for unknown reasons yesterday. No emails, no information currently provided. It was a royal pain, as there was no warning, and thus no access to the site. I apologize.
On another note, I’m looking at switching hosting company’s. There’s a company called WordPress Hosting that has pretty good rates, excellent support, and pretty good pricing. So, we’ll see how they work. As usual, lots of backups and other stuff first. *sigh* Yet more work to do…. oh well, such is life.
I remember where I was, this date, three years ago. Sitting in a basement, working on computer stuff. I received a phone call, and just was shocked. We rolled in a projector and watched the news…. I don’t have words right now to describe it, only prayers. Say a prayer please, all of you, for all the innocents, all the dead. I remember watching it, just feeling amazed, frustrated, angry, and many other emotions. I remember sitting, watching this happen…so many dead for no reason… I was here, in my country, here in thought and prayer with so many others… Where were you that day?
Thought I’d wish a happy birthday to a good friend of mine, Christian Cosas. Pop on over and say hi and happy birthday *grin* And Christian, thanks for giving me admin rights Happy birthday old fart!!!
Here in the last few days, I’ve rediscovered an old love – books. I read a book earlier today, and am half-way through another book. So, in the last 8 hours, minus dinner, I’ve read a book and a half. Specifically, Robert Heilein’s “Starship Troopers” and Sara Douglass’ “The Wayfarer Redemption”. Both are VERY good books, and have been most engrossing. I’d forgotten what it’s like to just sit and read for hours on end, to get totally lost in a story. It’s a wonderful feeling, kinda like coming home to a friend I’ve missed and haven’t seen in a while.
There’s another aspect to this of course. This additional aspect stems from a sense of peace and calm that I’ve been fighting to maintain. Here lately, I’ve been kinda on an emotional rollercoaster. A lot of this is due to the whole “future” thing, of what I’m going to do in life, what is my “purpose” and what things mean. Yes, I know – I think to much, or at least some say so. BUT, I beg to differ, for it’s only when I think about things that I truly come to understand them, and feel them. Some thoughts take months, some thoughts take cares, but eventually I manage some sort of conclusion. In this instance, I’ve found a few of them, but not near so many as I search for. I’ll be searching all my days for answers to questions, many of which will never truly be answered, for some questions have no answer. It’s more the question itself which is the important side. Hmm, just realized in a sense this is an allusion to the Matrix – “It’s the question that drives us” – but it’s very much a basic truth. It’s the search for answers, for knowledge, for understanding, for everything that I wish to know that generally drives me. For it’s the questions I ask which lead me to know more of the world, to get to know other people, to know love, happiness, sadness, and all the other emotions that drive me. It’s the questions I ask which help me to understand what it is I feel. It may take months sometimes for a single thought to be processed, and as said, some thoughts will never truly be answered, but in searching for answers, I do find a sense of peace.
How does that relate to reading? The simplest answer I can provide there, on an epiphany of thought, is this: That through reading, through imaging other worlds, I can step away from my own. And it’s through reading that I best sometimes come to a sense of peace and understanding, a sense which I’ve lost here lately. There are of course other methods than reading. Some seem to find it in sports, or physical exercise. I’ve found it in working with my hands, or sitting out in the woods, or playing with animals, with some few friends, as well as in other places. BUT, I’ve almost always managed to find it through reading. That’s what I discovered this evening – a sense of peace and … content? readiness? some indescribable feeling that I haven’t felt in a long while. It’s a very good feeling, like coming home to an old friend….
In other words, a day where I fight to stay awake. Going to bed at 3:30 or 4am or whatever it was isn’t the smartest thing in the world. I mean, yes, it was a good evening, but dang I’m tired today. Well, exhausted, drained, eyes drooping, downing diet mountain dew like water, etc. etc. Someone kick me in the nuts so I stay awake. Well, don’t kick me in the nuts, but IM me, hit me over da head, whatever.
In another note, sorry for a distinct lack of posts lately. I’ll try and post soon, I promise. Just haven’t been in the mood, been busy, and one of those past few weeks. Auf Wiedersehen everyone, as I try and go back to staying awake. *WHACK* hmm, not helping…… Coffee perhaps….